About Me

My photo
A fiction writer and mum to three great kids, also lucky enough to be married to the man of my dreams. In spite of that mushy comment I do not write flowery romance - I like a nice helping of real life grit in my work. I have a Diploma in Literature & Creative Writing from The Open University and remain a member of the wonderful Watford Writers, despite moving on several times. I am a big fan of Swanwick Writers Summer School which has taught me a great deal and where I have made many great friends. I have yet to reach the dizzy heights of becoming a published superstar but will continue to send my work out into the world.

Tuesday 20 May 2014

Gardners & Writers

I once heard, or read, Alan Titchmarsh claim that 'a good garden is never finished' or words to that effect.

Well I'm finding the same with my novel.  The deeper in I get the more work I realise there is to do.  Now it's not that the work bothers me because it doesn't but I have to wonder when does it stop.  When will I know that I have edited and revised every chapter, rounded my characters enough, sewn threads into my main story line?  Does that ever happen?  And as for imagery don't even get me started!  Obviously in a novel as opposed to a shorter work there is much more scope to linger on description and imagery.  But just how much is enough?

This morning I have been working on describing a hall decorated for a wedding reception and to freshen up my ideas I used Google images.  Mistake? Well now I feel I am back to square one as the images have filled my head and made my former description look naff, at the very least and badly in need of  re-writing. Actually I quite enjoy it.  I used to scoff quietly as those writers who confessed they'd spent years writing their novel but slowly I am starting to understand why.

As much as I admire Mr Titchmarsh I do hope his theory on gardens isn't true for writers.

No comments:

Post a Comment