About Me

My photo
A fiction writer and mum to three great kids, also lucky enough to be married to the man of my dreams. In spite of that mushy comment I do not write flowery romance - I like a nice helping of real life grit in my work. I have a Diploma in Literature & Creative Writing from The Open University and remain a member of the wonderful Watford Writers, despite moving on several times. I am a big fan of Swanwick Writers Summer School which has taught me a great deal and where I have made many great friends. I have yet to reach the dizzy heights of becoming a published superstar but will continue to send my work out into the world.

Tuesday 26 June 2012

Ready, Steady, Go...

Hooray!  The short story 'Blisters and Baskets' I have been working on has finally made it into the postbox.  I have written it with the one page story slot in mind, thus the word count is 940.  I am really pleased with the final piece.  It has certainly been worth all the editing, ink and paper and I have learnt just how important editing and revision is.  In the past I have become too fond of a paragraph or line of dialogue and been reluctant to take it out.  Now, having been ruthless with myself I can see the advantage of not hanging onto prose that doesn't do anything for the story, whether I love it or not.

Good news - Swanwick Writers Summer School is looming and I am becoming quite excited at meeting my swanwick friends again, plus any newbies.  I made so many wonderful friends last year and the experience was just the lift I needed.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah! Well done and good luck with that Rae. I used to hate losing some of the sentences or paragraphs I was fond of - these days I do edit them out if they are not relevant to the progression of the story but I have to admit I write them down in my notebook in case they help along another future story. :-)

    ReplyDelete