About Me

My photo
A fiction writer and mum to three great kids, also lucky enough to be married to the man of my dreams. In spite of that mushy comment I do not write flowery romance - I like a nice helping of real life grit in my work. I have a Diploma in Literature & Creative Writing from The Open University and remain a member of the wonderful Watford Writers, despite moving on several times. I am a big fan of Swanwick Writers Summer School which has taught me a great deal and where I have made many great friends. I have yet to reach the dizzy heights of becoming a published superstar but will continue to send my work out into the world.

Monday 15 October 2012

A Wonderful Surprise

After a bit of a wonky week I had a wonderful surprise last night.  My nephew arranged to visit me.  Nothing wonderful there you may think but I had not seen him in 13 years.  Now, for anybody that is a hell of a long time.  It was brilliant to see him looking well and getting his life together.  I hope he will visit as often as he is able now.

For those of you who are regular readers you will be familiar with my story 'BILLY' which I am pleased to say has received it's final edit and is ready to be sent on it's way to Dog Horn Publishing.  Also, I began a Christmas story today.  Yes, I know it is too late to submit to any magazine but this one is for a competition.  Today I managed 750 meaningful words.  Mind you they are not easy to write though.  As Christmas is a very commercial these days it's hard to find a different angle on it.  Stories of burnt Turkey's, surprise visits from long lost relatives and seeing the big man in the red coat are all well used themes.  Needless to say I have attempted to avoid these, not because I think any less of them but I really want a new angle, which if I'm lucky, I may just have found.

No comments:

Post a Comment