About Me

My photo
A fiction writer and mum to three great kids, also lucky enough to be married to the man of my dreams. In spite of that mushy comment I do not write flowery romance - I like a nice helping of real life grit in my work. I have a Diploma in Literature & Creative Writing from The Open University and remain a member of the wonderful Watford Writers, despite moving on several times. I am a big fan of Swanwick Writers Summer School which has taught me a great deal and where I have made many great friends. I have yet to reach the dizzy heights of becoming a published superstar but will continue to send my work out into the world.

Tuesday 9 September 2014

Some You Do And Some You Don't

Do you ever get a feeling about a story?  Either whilst drafting, editing or anywhere along the line - I do.  My latest short story is aimed at TABFF (Take-a-Break Fiction Feast).  The truth is, yes this is going to sound really pretentious, but I dreamt the first line of dialogue of the story.  Now I know a lot of my fellow writers keep a notebook by the bed, as do I.  But the words stayed with me even after showering and eating breakfast, I knew I had to use them.  And I have.  I have a really good feeling that this story could be the one to set me on my way.  The one that makes all previous disappointments almost worth the pain.  Time will tell.

It's odd though, I really want to write novels but I cannot leave short stories alone.  I've tried but the ideas always manage to sneak into my thought stream somewhere along the way.  Maybe I should try harder at doing both.  After all I do have a novel that I've written.  Okay so it needs a huge injection of TLC but hey, it there.


No comments:

Post a Comment