About Me

My photo
A fiction writer and mum to three great kids, also lucky enough to be married to the man of my dreams. In spite of that mushy comment I do not write flowery romance - I like a nice helping of real life grit in my work. I have a Diploma in Literature & Creative Writing from The Open University and remain a member of the wonderful Watford Writers, despite moving on several times. I am a big fan of Swanwick Writers Summer School which has taught me a great deal and where I have made many great friends. I have yet to reach the dizzy heights of becoming a published superstar but will continue to send my work out into the world.

Tuesday 26 March 2013

Strange Inspiration

It is often said that a writers inspiration hits them at the most unexpected times.  On a bus, standing in a que or even in the shower.  I will spare you the details but my hubby suggested I enter a competition for which the word count is 4000 words.  I've not written anything that long, well not one long story anyway.  So, I was wracking my brains for an idea, having read an anthology of the previous winners and runners-up I knew I had to come up with something very different from my usual style.  Fed up I slumped on the sofa and put a Primeval DVD on - and there it was!  I would write a 'what happened after' about two characters from the show.  For those of you unfamiliar with Primeval Abby and Connor are both members of a secret government department, over time and many near death experience they confess their love for each other (awwww).  Yes, its quite soppy amongst dinosaurs and scary creatures from the future!!

So I had my idea.  Due to copyright I couldn't use their character names or anything relating to Primeval so more thinking was required.  Now I have an good outline for my story, have changed names, disregarded secret government departments and  dinosaurs - but in my head I see Abby and Connor.  How soppy I am, I admit I do love a bit of romance.  Okay so my initial idea had to be shelved but I still have what I hope will be a great story and if Im honest, a little out of my comfort zone but a change i8s as good as a rest, or so I'm told.

Please forgive any typos my spellcheck function on here is not happy and is refusing to come out and play !!


No comments:

Post a Comment