About Me

My photo
A fiction writer and mum to three great kids, also lucky enough to be married to the man of my dreams. In spite of that mushy comment I do not write flowery romance - I like a nice helping of real life grit in my work. I have a Diploma in Literature & Creative Writing from The Open University and remain a member of the wonderful Watford Writers, despite moving on several times. I am a big fan of Swanwick Writers Summer School which has taught me a great deal and where I have made many great friends. I have yet to reach the dizzy heights of becoming a published superstar but will continue to send my work out into the world.

Thursday 4 April 2013

Loving It

My new story mentioned in my last post is coming along better than I expected.  Its a longer story up to 4,000 words and I think this has allowed me to open up and use masses of detail I usually would have omitted.  I have also opted for a far off destination, also something I haven't done before.  Thus I have been up to my eyes in factual research which I have really enjoyed.

It's often easier to stay in your comfort zone for various reasons but to step out of it occasionally can also be exhilarating,  this story is so different for me and honestly, I can picture each detail in my head and feel I know my two main characters very well.  Some of you may say, that should be the case anyway but that depends on how short the story is and what genre you are writing for.  I know some writers refer to 'the rules' but the rebel still living inside me. tells me that rules are there to be bent and broken !!  After all, if nobody had ever challenged them all out literature could have been very dull.  Now that's not to say that out classics are dull after all didn't we have some female rebels then?  I'm sure we did, just think about it.

Again, I suppose it's a matter of choice but for me, paddling away from the safety of my comfort zone feels good and very liberating - wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment