About Me

My photo
A fiction writer and mum to three great kids, also lucky enough to be married to the man of my dreams. In spite of that mushy comment I do not write flowery romance - I like a nice helping of real life grit in my work. I have a Diploma in Literature & Creative Writing from The Open University and remain a member of the wonderful Watford Writers, despite moving on several times. I am a big fan of Swanwick Writers Summer School which has taught me a great deal and where I have made many great friends. I have yet to reach the dizzy heights of becoming a published superstar but will continue to send my work out into the world.

Monday 29 April 2013

The Bristol Short Story Prize

It's done.  I am just about to send it.  Well, in a minute anyway.

Its my longest story to date.  The limit was 4,000 words and although my story doesn't hit the maximum word count, I feel good about it.  After all 4,000 words is the limit not the target and I cannot see the point in adding words or padding out just for the sake of it.  It wouldn't be my story then.  Its going to be a long wait though - results, well the long list, will be published on the website around mid-July.  At this moment that seems so long to wait.

The story which was rejected from TABFF last week I have tweaked and changed a few things and have decided to send it to That's Life Fast Fiction (Australia).  Along with another short story which I crafted with that magazine in mind.  It's quite scary though.  Sending something to Australia.  Okay I send them via email so that's not the problem I just hope they are accepted.  Its no different to submitting to TABFF, it just feels different somehow.

Once that is done I have my eye on a few minor short story competitions but need to get my skates on as  both the deadlines are mid-May.  I am feeling very positive at the moment and wish there were more hours in the day to write.

Oh, almost forgot to thank my talented proof reader for all her time; thank you Helen.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rae, sounds like you are very busy entering comps and subbing our work out...Good on you for getting it out there. I'm trying to target a few more competitions this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maria - There is so much out there it's sometimes hard to narrow it down to what you could do and what you want to do. Still onwards and upwards. Good luck with your comps.

    ReplyDelete