About Me

My photo
A fiction writer and mum to three great kids, also lucky enough to be married to the man of my dreams. In spite of that mushy comment I do not write flowery romance - I like a nice helping of real life grit in my work. I have a Diploma in Literature & Creative Writing from The Open University and remain a member of the wonderful Watford Writers, despite moving on several times. I am a big fan of Swanwick Writers Summer School which has taught me a great deal and where I have made many great friends. I have yet to reach the dizzy heights of becoming a published superstar but will continue to send my work out into the world.

Tuesday 29 May 2012

Sun, Editing and Housework

Phew - what a scorching few days we've had - not that I am complaining.  The housework has suffered a bit as it has been much too hot to dance around with the hoover or hyperventilate over the iron press.  On the plus side it has given me a lot of time to sit and edit a short story I intend to send of to WWFS.  It surprised me just how much I have enjoyed the task.  Obviously parts of the dialogue and imagery have been revised/rewritten too but as I say, seriously I have enjoyed seeing my work take on a better shape than I could have ever imagined.

 The only slightly negative thing is that it takes up quite a lot of time.  Yes, I know that it is well worthwhile, especially if I do manage to get a sale from it.  But as this is a craft I am new to I am inwardly cringing at some of my earlier work that I sent out to a few unsuspecting Fiction Editors - hope I am not the only one.

1 comment:

  1. I'm smiling Rae. I look back on those first stories I submitted ages ago and think 'oh my goodness'. But on the up side it's good when we notice we are improving. good luck with your story. x

    ReplyDelete