About Me

My photo
A fiction writer and mum to three great kids, also lucky enough to be married to the man of my dreams. In spite of that mushy comment I do not write flowery romance - I like a nice helping of real life grit in my work. I have a Diploma in Literature & Creative Writing from The Open University and remain a member of the wonderful Watford Writers, despite moving on several times. I am a big fan of Swanwick Writers Summer School which has taught me a great deal and where I have made many great friends. I have yet to reach the dizzy heights of becoming a published superstar but will continue to send my work out into the world.

Tuesday 28 February 2012

Watford's Got Talent

Tonight the winner was announced of the 'Writers Block' competition (an annual competition) at Watford Writers.  The competition was judged externally and the judges shared their critiques of the stories they read before announcing the final three.  They had obviously put a great deal into the judging and their critiques and comments were worth their weight in gold.  It made such a difference to hear a judge talk about a story that they had obviously read more than once and to highlight the best bits.  There was much chat and speculation amongst the wine, cheese, crisps and nibbles about what the top three would be. 

When the top three were announced it was very difficult to find fault with any of them.  Two of them were not my cup of tea but they were so beautifully written they deserved to be on the podium.  I should point out that the theme for the competition was Ghosts/Supernatural and all the entries were spine tingling or hair raising - what a talented group Watford Writers are!

It is the first time I have attended WW for a month and I wa so glad to be back.  Even as I walked through the door I could feel the excitement return and my imagination began to tick over.  Back in business?  I do hope so, no, I know so.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I love it when you get the buzz like that...writers groups offer lots of opportunities and a good one is worth a pot of gold.

    Mine certainly keeps me on my toes, and the feedback on work is very beneficial.
    Sounds like yours was a fun night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maria - Yes the buzz is a wonderful energetic feeling. I am lucky to belong to the watford writers they are truly a great and talented group.

    ReplyDelete