About Me

My photo
A fiction writer and mum to three great kids, also lucky enough to be married to the man of my dreams. In spite of that mushy comment I do not write flowery romance - I like a nice helping of real life grit in my work. I have a Diploma in Literature & Creative Writing from The Open University and remain a member of the wonderful Watford Writers, despite moving on several times. I am a big fan of Swanwick Writers Summer School which has taught me a great deal and where I have made many great friends. I have yet to reach the dizzy heights of becoming a published superstar but will continue to send my work out into the world.

Thursday 16 February 2012

A Wealth of Ideas

Sometimes you read about writer's who sit and stare at a blank screen or sheet of paper until inspiration strikes.  I think doing that would drive me quite mad.  I was having a conversation with my manager today and she was telling me that when she was a child her parents had owned a motorbike and side-car.  These days a large percentage of the population have a car (or two) and wouldn't know a side-car if they fell over one.  She went on to tell me that when they went out as a family her mum, sister, herself and her brother all sat in the side-car together.  Can you imagine that?!  Well, of course we howled with laughter about it and do you know, there is many a story to be grown from an offhand comment. 

Of course I promised her I wouldn't tell a soul about the bunny rabbit hats she and her brother had to wear !  So next time you find yourself lacking in creativity or inspiration cast your mind back to any recent conversation you may have had or even overheard.  It's all there just waiting to be turned into a wonderful read.

No comments:

Post a Comment