About Me

My photo
A fiction writer and mum to three great kids, also lucky enough to be married to the man of my dreams. In spite of that mushy comment I do not write flowery romance - I like a nice helping of real life grit in my work. I have a Diploma in Literature & Creative Writing from The Open University and remain a member of the wonderful Watford Writers, despite moving on several times. I am a big fan of Swanwick Writers Summer School which has taught me a great deal and where I have made many great friends. I have yet to reach the dizzy heights of becoming a published superstar but will continue to send my work out into the world.

Tuesday 28 February 2012

Less is More

They say that don't they?  Less is more. This was certainly the case for me today.  I started work on my entry for the Mslexia Short Story Competition.  Of late I have lapsed into the very bad habit of looking at a blank laptop screen hoping for inspiration.  But today I remembered a conversation with a lovely lady I met in Swanwick last summer.  She suggested I scribble down a framework of a story in my notepad before even attempting to type it up.  I had begun to do this after our conversation but after Christmas, without realising it, I lapsed into staring into a blank space waiting for that Eureka moment.  How very different it was this morning, I got so carried away I had written, well, scrawled, four pages of A4 before I realised it.  Now as most of us will admit, the final result will no doubt be very different from the finished article but what a great start.  It felt so good to be scribbling away and actually getting words on the paper without being distracted by those wiggly red lines the laptop applies to my writing (when it thinks I have erred) without being asked.

I am out for a coffee morning tomorrow, complete with home-made chocolate cake and as I am so pleased with todays results I have promised myself I will not feel guilty taking a few hours off.

No comments:

Post a Comment