About Me

My photo
A fiction writer and mum to three great kids, also lucky enough to be married to the man of my dreams. In spite of that mushy comment I do not write flowery romance - I like a nice helping of real life grit in my work. I have a Diploma in Literature & Creative Writing from The Open University and remain a member of the wonderful Watford Writers, despite moving on several times. I am a big fan of Swanwick Writers Summer School which has taught me a great deal and where I have made many great friends. I have yet to reach the dizzy heights of becoming a published superstar but will continue to send my work out into the world.

Monday 26 March 2012

Hooroo Oz

Some of you may know that Carl and I (and the kids) were planning to move to Australia in a year or two.  Australia has always been my dream and it really looked as though it might happen.  But there it is 'My Dream'.  It has transpired that other than the tearful goodbye's we would have faced I have realised that Lisa, is still dreadfully unhappy about it.  I had a terrible image of us at the airport and her becoming distraught and saying she couldn't go.  My son, eighteen who lives with his girlfriend wouldn't commit either way which spoke volumes in itself.  I knew deep down that he wouldn't be coming with us.

Carl?  Well bless him, he tried very hard to fall in love with the idea but the closeness of his relationship with his parents presented many hurdles.  Some of which he didn't want to attempt to jump.  Not that I blame him.  This time last year I wasn't close to my mum at all but since she had her fall in January we have become a lot closer.  When I'm there at the weekends I see her get so upset when it's time for me to leave it upsets me too.  She isn't getting any younger, she's in her late seventies.  What will happen if she becomes ill or falls again?  I won't be much good on the other side of the world will I.  So it's a 'no' I'm afraid.  After much soul searching, tears, doubts and realisations, it a definite 'no'.  I wanted to share this news with you because it hurts and it feels good to unburden to somebody who isn't directly involved.  I appreciate this post might be disjointed but I have allowed my emotion to take control on this post.

2 comments:

  1. It's a hard decision to make. I'm in the situation you're mum's in. Our closest family moved to Oz and now we're wondering what happens to us when one of us is left alone, which has got to happen one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a minefield Valerie and I don't think there is any easy choice. I hope things work out for you though. x

    ReplyDelete