About Me

My photo
A fiction writer and mum to three great kids, also lucky enough to be married to the man of my dreams. In spite of that mushy comment I do not write flowery romance - I like a nice helping of real life grit in my work. I have a Diploma in Literature & Creative Writing from The Open University and remain a member of the wonderful Watford Writers, despite moving on several times. I am a big fan of Swanwick Writers Summer School which has taught me a great deal and where I have made many great friends. I have yet to reach the dizzy heights of becoming a published superstar but will continue to send my work out into the world.

Tuesday 8 January 2013

New Year - Fresh Start

What a long absence I have had from writing, not by choice I can assure you.  I will spare you the details as I try not to include personal details on this blog.

Anyhow, here is 2013, a fresh start for us all.  I have decided to take a different stance as regards my writing.  Forget my old work, even re-writing some of it and to make a complete new start.  The manuscript I was fussing over before Christmas has been disregarded and buried away.  I re-read it over the holiday and found it to be flat with far too much narrative.  I wrote it and even I wasn't sure who the story was actually about.  It would be easy to chuck it all in and not to bother at all but deep down inside I know I can produce decent work, it's just a matter of incorporating everything I have learnt, murdering my darlings more frequently and keeping my bottom firmly on this chair!  Luck also plays a part especially where competitions are concerned but that's no excuse - no, when my work gets sent out into the world it will be as polished as it possibly can be.

I won't say wish me luck - my future is in my hands and only I can make it happen, but company along the way is most welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment