About Me

My photo
A fiction writer and mum to three great kids, also lucky enough to be married to the man of my dreams. In spite of that mushy comment I do not write flowery romance - I like a nice helping of real life grit in my work. I have a Diploma in Literature & Creative Writing from The Open University and remain a member of the wonderful Watford Writers, despite moving on several times. I am a big fan of Swanwick Writers Summer School which has taught me a great deal and where I have made many great friends. I have yet to reach the dizzy heights of becoming a published superstar but will continue to send my work out into the world.

Monday 14 January 2013

Old Habits

...die hard, or so the saying goes.  Oh, how true.  This weekend I found myself writing a memoir for the Fish Short Memoir competition (deadline 31/1).  It suddenly struck me that I had left it much too late, what was I doing?  This is exactly the sort of thing I'd told myself I would stop doing.  I had a word with myself and picked a small short story competition (deadline 22/2) instead.  See how easy it is to revert to bad habits - I could kick myself but onwards and upwards.

I am on draft 5 of the story I started last week and having managed, eventually, to obtain a copy of TABFF (take-a-break fiction feast) feel I am heading in the right direction.  This may sound rather arrogant but many times I have closed my eyes and imagined seeing my name included on their pages.  Imagination is wonderful but there is nothing like hard work and making it happen for yourself.  My day will come.

It's started to snow again here in Milton Keynes.  It looks very peaceful and calm snow don't you think?  It's great when your indoors and warm but come 'school run' time I may well have changed my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment