About Me

My photo
A fiction writer and mum to three great kids, also lucky enough to be married to the man of my dreams. In spite of that mushy comment I do not write flowery romance - I like a nice helping of real life grit in my work. I have a Diploma in Literature & Creative Writing from The Open University and remain a member of the wonderful Watford Writers, despite moving on several times. I am a big fan of Swanwick Writers Summer School which has taught me a great deal and where I have made many great friends. I have yet to reach the dizzy heights of becoming a published superstar but will continue to send my work out into the world.

Thursday 17 January 2013

The Seed Is Sewn

Oh dear, it's not really happening for me today.  This morning Hubby suggested maybe I should consider doing an MA in creative writing BUT first, I would need a degree.  Wonderful.  We had a brief chat about it all and I insisted I was happy with what I was doing at the moment.

The issue is, now I'm not so sure.  I do have UCAS points as I studied with The Open University a few years ago.  The big question is, do I want to go back into study, or do I want to write and hope for the best.  There is no doubt that gaining a degree to enable me to go to further study would be wonderful.  I'm just not sure it's me.  I have done some research and found places which offer and Degree/MA in creative writing and the courses look great.  Unless I can do it by long distance learning I am stuck.  How can I just up and go to Uni and leave the family behind?  Would that even be necessary?  Do I stick with what I'm doing now, or should I look at fresh alternatives?  I just don't know.  See one of the most annoying things about Carl, my Hubby, is that he's usually right.

Such a muddle and so much to think about.

4 comments:

  1. Hi rae I have read your post and all i can say is do what your heart desires. I know its hard to do both but its not impossible. Just follow what you really want to do :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dorothy. I'm sure I'll work it out it's just my head is all over the place right now. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rae, you don't need a degree to do an MA. I know someone who is in this position. They attend uni once a week. Perhaps you need to do a bit more research before you make a decision? On the other hand, plenty of people have a successful writing career without a degree. It depends what you want to do with your writing. Good luck with whatever you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Tracy and thank you for your comment. I have discovered that a degree isn't always necessary to gain a MA dependant on where you look. I have decided to put off the decision until the summer. The question is, do I want to learn about creative writing or, do I want to get on and do it? Ho - Hum.

    ReplyDelete