About Me

My photo
A fiction writer and mum to three great kids, also lucky enough to be married to the man of my dreams. In spite of that mushy comment I do not write flowery romance - I like a nice helping of real life grit in my work. I have a Diploma in Literature & Creative Writing from The Open University and remain a member of the wonderful Watford Writers, despite moving on several times. I am a big fan of Swanwick Writers Summer School which has taught me a great deal and where I have made many great friends. I have yet to reach the dizzy heights of becoming a published superstar but will continue to send my work out into the world.

Wednesday 23 January 2013

Something Sweet

My story for the choclit competition is coming along really well.  I have such a good feeling about it now.  Last night I flicked my notes on writing short stories, notes from last years Swanwick Writers Summer School.  I did because although my story was building - there was something not quite right with it.  I read it a few times over but it wasn't any clearer to me.  After going through my notes, paying special attention to "plot and structure" my problem  was obvious.  My plot was weak and the structure  flimsy, to say the least.

So, today I took a good look and re-write a big chunk of the story, which now looks and reads so much better.  My characters are rounder and my main character is defiantly in control.  Just as it should be.  Now I am on my 6th draft but it has been worth every word and spending today sitting at my desk.  Just goes to show any notes you have taken, are never a waste of time.

The weather is still bad here, in Milton Keynes and we had more snow today.  Thankfully it didn't settle but it's still very cold.  Roll on Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment