About Me

My photo
A fiction writer and mum to three great kids, also lucky enough to be married to the man of my dreams. In spite of that mushy comment I do not write flowery romance - I like a nice helping of real life grit in my work. I have a Diploma in Literature & Creative Writing from The Open University and remain a member of the wonderful Watford Writers, despite moving on several times. I am a big fan of Swanwick Writers Summer School which has taught me a great deal and where I have made many great friends. I have yet to reach the dizzy heights of becoming a published superstar but will continue to send my work out into the world.

Thursday 10 January 2013

We're Off

My new outlook on my writing has started well.  I wrote and completed a brand new story on Tuesday, that's not to say it's finished though.  The English language is a funny one don't you think?  Completed and finished should really mean the same thing, but to me they do not.  Yes, the story is completed, as in the story is there, but it needs fiddling with before I can even consider putting it on the back burner for a week or so.  Are you with me?

There are a few small competitions which I quite fancy entering so at the moment I am trying to narrow it down to just one.  Both deadlines are 31st January, before I would have tried to do both.  But, now I feel it better to enter just one with a good polished story rather than two with 'nearly there' stories.  Oh, this new regime does feel good. 

Yesterday I received a rejection from WWFS (woman's weekly fiction special) which I have to admit I was expecting.  Rather than hiding it away as I usually do I intend to go through it with a thick read pen, be honest with myself to identify why it was rejected.  I may wear a crash helmet to do this as the truth often hurts.

No comments:

Post a Comment