About Me

My photo
A fiction writer and mum to three great kids, also lucky enough to be married to the man of my dreams. In spite of that mushy comment I do not write flowery romance - I like a nice helping of real life grit in my work. I have a Diploma in Literature & Creative Writing from The Open University and remain a member of the wonderful Watford Writers, despite moving on several times. I am a big fan of Swanwick Writers Summer School which has taught me a great deal and where I have made many great friends. I have yet to reach the dizzy heights of becoming a published superstar but will continue to send my work out into the world.

Wednesday 14 December 2011

Writing Wednesday

Today has been a good day.  I have been working on a pen portrait for Mslexia magazine and today I stopped dragging my heels and actually sent it off.  Of course, I won't be notified if they will use it or not for the Spring issue until Feb/March time.  So I have pushed it to the back of my mind for now.

There is still no word from Woman's Weekly or The Weekly News regarding the short stories I submitted but then as the stories are not seasonal they are probably lingering in somebodies pending tray.  Everything comes to he who waits and in this writing game there is an awful lot of waiting.  That is why it is a good thing to have several projects in the mix at once.  I tend to have ideas for stories stomping around in my head for a while before I actually draft anything.  I find it easier to scrawl it down on paper rather than stare at a blank computer screen, paper allows you to ramble more.

3 comments:

  1. I hope you're sticking all those ideas in a notebook Rae ;)

    What's a "pen portrait" hon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, Vikki my notebook is my life-line although there are a few sensless scribbles in there too.

    Pen portrait is a small feature being used by Mslexia magazine at the moment. You need to convey a character in 100/150 words. Check out there submissions if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks hon, sounds interesting, I must have missed that :(

    Xxx

    ReplyDelete