About Me

My photo
A fiction writer and mum to three great kids, also lucky enough to be married to the man of my dreams. In spite of that mushy comment I do not write flowery romance - I like a nice helping of real life grit in my work. I have a Diploma in Literature & Creative Writing from The Open University and remain a member of the wonderful Watford Writers, despite moving on several times. I am a big fan of Swanwick Writers Summer School which has taught me a great deal and where I have made many great friends. I have yet to reach the dizzy heights of becoming a published superstar but will continue to send my work out into the world.

Tuesday 24 January 2012

Monday - I've had better days...

The day started off ok, alright I was knee deep in housework and hiding things in the loft but that I could handle.  My sister phoned me late afternoon to let me know that our Mum was in hospital.  She'd had a fall and dislocated her wrist.  Also there was a problem with her knee but due to the swelling they were unable to ascertain exactly what was wrong.  Que me ringing our older sister to let her know.  Said older sister was a bit miffed that Mum had promised to feed her fish while she was on holiday now what would she do as that was a bit of an issue.  Now let's talk geography, Older sister (with the fish) lives 2 miles from our Mum.  When I mentioned that could she help my other sister with Mum's care her answer was that we should contact social services.  How nice !!  Now  sister that is caring for our Mum at the moment has her own health issues as well as suffering with fractured ribs after a car accident last week.  I live roughly 40 miles from my family and I'm happy to help out as much as I possibly can but due to still having a primary school child (and only sometimes having access to the car) the time I can give is sadly limited.  When did people become so selfish?  What makes it worse is that my oldest sister (with the fish) was 'The Golden One' for many years leaving my other sister who has always, (even as a child) has a heart of gold out in the cold, so to speak.  I think I should add here that my Mum is in her late 70s and widowed.  I cannot believe that she is being so incredibly selfish.  Or am I being unfair?

No comments:

Post a Comment