About Me

My photo
A fiction writer and mum to three great kids, also lucky enough to be married to the man of my dreams. In spite of that mushy comment I do not write flowery romance - I like a nice helping of real life grit in my work. I have a Diploma in Literature & Creative Writing from The Open University and remain a member of the wonderful Watford Writers, despite moving on several times. I am a big fan of Swanwick Writers Summer School which has taught me a great deal and where I have made many great friends. I have yet to reach the dizzy heights of becoming a published superstar but will continue to send my work out into the world.

Monday 16 January 2012

Seeing things in a new light

Having received a wealth of feedback on my current short story I set to work.  There was masses of editing and rewrites to do but actually I couldn't wait to get started.  My professional tutor really knows what she is talking about and how to put it across in a way which avoids any upset.  The best part of three hours I spent re-jigging, fiddling and , I have to admit to groaning too until I was pleased with the result.  Don't get me wrong, the story is still not the finished article but reads a lot better.  I'll just wait and see what my Guru thinks of the changes I have made.  I have also completed the first lesson she sent me which seemed easy enough but was tougher than I thought it would be.  As I said before if you are ever in a position to seek professional tuition, do it.

On a personal note my cat Ryker is not a happy cat at all.  He had a scratch on his leg which wasn't healing at all so he had a visit to the vet.  Now he is sulking because he has to wear a buster collar (lampshade) to stop him from licking it.  I'm just glad he can't talk. I dread to think what his language would be like.

It's Watford Writers tonight, manuscript night again but we will also be discussing the programme for the next few months.  We often have speakers, workshops and competitions so all that needs to be scheduled in.  I am hoping to persuade my good friend Linda to perhaps give us a talk or even a workshop sometime.  If I ask her very nicely she might agree.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Rae - It is good to have a writing tutor and the invaluable guidance and direction they give. Sounds like you are on track. Good on you! Hope the cat is feeling better :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Diane - no the cat is still sulking.

    ReplyDelete