About Me

My photo
A fiction writer and mum to three great kids, also lucky enough to be married to the man of my dreams. In spite of that mushy comment I do not write flowery romance - I like a nice helping of real life grit in my work. I have a Diploma in Literature & Creative Writing from The Open University and remain a member of the wonderful Watford Writers, despite moving on several times. I am a big fan of Swanwick Writers Summer School which has taught me a great deal and where I have made many great friends. I have yet to reach the dizzy heights of becoming a published superstar but will continue to send my work out into the world.

Tuesday 31 January 2012

Rejection and being 16

Before last summer when I went to Swanwick Writer's Summer School I used to get really upset over rejections.  Sometimes I used to hide them, be embarrassed by them and on occasions lie and say I hadn't heard yet.  But you live and learn - that what people say isn't it.  In some ways it's a bit of a relief to have the story back.  At least I know where it is and to be honest it was a long shot that it would be published.  But, on the positive side, it is now mine again and I can re-write, edit and submit elsewhere - so all is not lost.

Peter Barry have now loaded six shortlisted stories onto their blog and alas mine is no there but then there are six more to be posted so fingers still tightly crossed.

My daughter Lisa, is 16 today and for most of the day I have been wondering where the years have gone, am I really that old?  No, she is a lovely girl and I couldn't want for a better daughter, she makes me very proud.  So on with the celebrations then...

3 comments:

  1. Time makes us realise so many things doesn't it? I remember when I used to feel so disheartened and question my skills as a writer when I would receive rejections. But now, it's all good, because as I have got to know more and more writers (thanks to the internet) I have learned that rejection is all part of the process. We just have to keep writing and keep submitting and always hoping for the best! HAPPY BIRTHDAY LISA! The years go too fast, don't they Rae?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual very wise words Diane. As for the years they seem to fly by, my son is 18 next week !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again Rae. I have a 26 year old daughter, 22 year old son and my youngest, a girl, is 5 and starts 'big school' next Monday! :-)

    ReplyDelete