About Me

My photo
A fiction writer and mum to three great kids, also lucky enough to be married to the man of my dreams. In spite of that mushy comment I do not write flowery romance - I like a nice helping of real life grit in my work. I have a Diploma in Literature & Creative Writing from The Open University and remain a member of the wonderful Watford Writers, despite moving on several times. I am a big fan of Swanwick Writers Summer School which has taught me a great deal and where I have made many great friends. I have yet to reach the dizzy heights of becoming a published superstar but will continue to send my work out into the world.

Wednesday 4 January 2012

What a day

I up and out of my sick bed after a horrible dose of food poisoning.  Thankfully, Carl looked after me very well so I am feeling better today, just tired is all.

Anyway, before Christmas I composed a short story in my head and by some fluke managed to keep it floating around in there.  Today I typed it up, padded it out a little and am quite pleased with it so far.  It's odd you know, but all of my stories (barr one) have a twist.  I don't set out thinking of a deliberate twist its just the way my brain plans things out.  Its like (well I imagine) creating a joke with the punchline first then adding the start and middle section in order for it to make sense.  Is that the case with any of you?

Also our boiler broke down yesterday and although an engineer came that afternoon he couldn't fix it.  He said he needed to order a couple of parts, which should arrive tomorrow (today) then he would come back and fit them.  Lady Luck must have been looking my way because he returned this afternoon and within half an hour we had heat.

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear you're feeling better. Food poisoning? - Not fun. I like how you work out your twist stories; I never thought about it like that before. Thanks. With my twists sometimes I think of what the end should be and work backwards.(Oh, now that I think of it that is probably similar to you, lol.) Other times I'm lucky and the idea and twist comes from somewhere I can't explain - my muse perhaps. I enjoyed your post, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Diane, it's good to hear from other writers about what works for them. As you say, sometimes the twist appears from nowhere.

    ReplyDelete